ttp://www.assoc-amazon.com/s/ads.js">

Monday, April 13, 2009

When I NEED to go to the Doctor

Good Morning World!

Going forward in my healthcare experiment, here’s my list of when I NEED to go to a healthcare professional. This topic was spurred on by a comment on my posting on LinkedIn Health 2.0 discussion. It makes sense to me to have an EMERGENCY BUTTON going forward in this experiment. Thanks. Please keep the comments coming. I'm learning.

Tom’s EMERGENCY BUTTON - I will go, or let someone take me, to a healthcare professional if any of these conditions happen…

* If the result of any of my DIY medical tests shows “positive” and I get similar results after one or two repeats of the same test.


* Persistent pain, discomfort, aching, especially chest pain, etc.

* Persistent skin growths, discoloration, etc.

* Unusual and persistent diarrhea, vomiting, or other body discharges

* Persistent blood in stool, urine, saliva, or anywhere else in my body.

* Unusual difficulty in breathing.

* Unusual dizziness, inability to speak, passing out, convulsions, weakness, tingling, burning, numbness, stupor, drowsiness, disorientation, shock symptoms, blindness, etc.

* Serious accident or injury, especially with broken bones, severe bruising, symptoms of blood clot, etc.

* Unusual and persistent thoughts of hurting myself or others, etc.

* If I can’t fix myself and it really bothers me.

* Anything else that seems life threatening or I can’t explain away.


The above is from my second posting –
RESOURCES – and from Internet searching.

I was surprised in my Internet searching there was not an easy-to-find list of symptoms that definitely require professional healthcare, if not immediate. If you know of such a list, please let us all know about it, by commenting.

FYI - I'm not doing this experiment outside of the professional medical community, but parallel to it. I am in generally good health now and plan to maintain/improve it, but in my case, I'd like to be more a part of my healthcare. I plan on still going to my doctor for annual physicals and as needed. However, on my next physical I plan on going in with the results of my own "physical examination" and my own DIY medical lab test results - and compare notes. Then we'll both agree on an action plan. Stay tuned for how this goes, later this year.


I'm a very lucky guy in having healthcare and insurance available. However, many people in the world do not have such a luxury. I've been posting on my other Blog http://tgideas.blogspot.com/ information helpful for organizations helping people in poverty countries, e.g. Engineers Without Borders, Design That Matters, etc. I'm also hoping my experiment can help where there is no doctor, for those who just can't afford a doctor, etc.

I'm sincerely grateful for professional doctors, nurses, etc., as much as I'm grateful for professional accountants, mechanics, carpenters, engineers, scientists, etc. Years ago, I had brain surgery, and I'm so grateful that fine surgeon was there when I needed him.

Working in parallel with professional healthcare, what do I have to lose? I'm retired and have time to work on this now. Maybe my experiment can help others. It certainly is helping me, since I'm learning about me and putting my scientific/engineering background to work. For me, it's like exploring a new frontier!

Thanks for reading this. Feel free to pass to others who might be interested. We're all in this healthcare thing together - me, you, and millions of others.

Legal Stuff - This writing, and any other communication, from TG Ideas LLC are strictly for informational purposes and is definitely not medical advice. See full disclaimer on TG Ideas LLC publications and website -
http://www.athenet.net/~ideas/ The above is a collection of publicly available information that anyone could have found and pieced together.

No comments:

Post a Comment